Thursday, December 9, 2010

Convergent vs. Divergent Thinking

Let's be honest.  I've been struggling with school - school, not learning.  I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this idea.  I learn quickly and easily, but I'm afraid my learning style is just not meshing with the way things are done in the typical collegiate classroom.

I'm really interested in the concept of divergent thinking.  THIS is definitely how I learn and think.  It makes so much more sense to me.  So, I'm just going to start compiling information about it and see if there's any way I can  figure out how to earn a degree with it.

Definition:

Idea generation technique (such as brainstorming) in which an idea is followed in several directions to lead to one or more new ideas, which in turn lead to still more ideas. In contrast to convergent thinking, (which aims at solving a specific problem) divergent thinking is creative, open-ended thinking aimed at generating fresh views and novel solutions.(http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/divergent-thinking.html)
My Definition:
The purpose of divergent thinking is to explore multiple possibilities and solutions to a problem rather than one 'correct answer'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment